Yesterday was Earth Day I believe. I was thinking about how proud I am of the views my church and the seminary that I attend hold on the environment. For some reason there are those in the Southern Baptist camp and in other denominations that feel that we shouldn't care about the environment since God is going to destroy the earth and create another one. I am happy to say that my church and my seminary though they are Southern Baptist do not believe that. Personally I have always thought that we have the responsibility to take care of the earth. I believe that this goes all the way back to the creation account in Genesis 2 where God tells Adam to cultivate the land and gives Adam the authority to name the animals. God wants Adam to take care of His creation. Besides that, God said that His creation is good. I believe that God cares about how we treat his creation. Wastefulness doesn't seem to be something that God would endorse, so let's get out there recycle,waste less, and care about the God's beautiful creation.
Now there is a flip side of the argument. Sometimes we go overboard on our celebration of Earth. Romans 1:25 speaks of people who "worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator". There seems to be a real danger of that in our culture. One can easily see this in instances such as people referring to earth as "Mother Earth" and making a religion out of "going green". We should be careful to guard against these ideas. The correct view is to be in love with the Creator so much so that we properly treat His creation that he has entrusted to us. That's my 2 cents anyway. With all that in mind, I really need to remember to bring cloth sacks to the grocery store!
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Earth Day
Posted by Mark, Genny, and Aivia Lindsey at 5:31 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment